I guess the 80’s are back
There is no point in denying it any longer. The 80’s are back, and they have been back for a while. I was trying to convince myself that it wasn’t happening but this morning while I was listening to a group called Phoenix, it became pretty obvious to me that this fascinating decade is back. For the record, I don’t have any problem with the 80’s, I enjoyed them; I had the big hair, the over sized shirts and the colored socks that matched the colored sweaters. I did it all and I’m not ashamed of it. The problem is that when a decade’s trends repeats on your lifetime that means that you are getting old and that is where the problem relies. It is bizarre to see little girls wear the same things you used to wear at their age. Personally, I think that is ridiculous to dress the same way you used to dress 20 years ago and that is why I have decided that there are somethings I will never wear again:
- Oversized Shoulder Pads: What is the point of looking out of proportion?
- Leggings and mini skirts: In the last 20 years my body has changed, and not in a good way. I had a baby, I gained a couple of pounds, and there is no way I would look good wearing those things.
- Converse Shoes: I like them, but every time I’m going to buy them, I remember my gym class and I feel silly wearing them.
- Neon Sunglasses – Neon earings: I don’t think I need to explain this one.
- high-waisted jeans: They are very uncomfortable
- Biker shorts: I don’t see any possible situation where I would be wearing biker shorts
- Stirrup Pants: These are the pants that have a strap at the bottom of each pant leg. No comments
Anyway, while the 80’s fashion have some big question marks, the music that is coming out with 80’s influence is pretty good.
There are two groups that I really enjoy lately; Phoenix and La Roux. Phoenix is a band from France, their album Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix won a Grammy Award on January 2010 for best alternative music album. Their sing “1901” hit #1 on the Billboard Hot Alternative Songs chart short after.
La Roux are an English electropo and synthpop duo. Their debut album, La Roux (2009) was nominated to a Mercury Prize and an MTV Europe Music Awards. These two groups are fantastic, you can clearly notice the 80’s influence, but you can also notice the new sounds they bring to the table.